Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Call to Be in the Midst of a Doing World



This corner of the world has been a bit silent...  Many things have been happening and schedules a bit turned around since the dismissal of school days to exchange with summer days.

Days of summer have given to grass cutting, husband home and so off we do this or that, biking, chicken coop shopping, tending flower gardens, birthdays, and more.










So, how does one BE in the midst of DOING???

Being vs. doing is a passion of mine because I believe it's a passion of God's.  It's a call from the heart of God and I have caught a glimpse of it, but when there are moments of so much to do and you're in the midst of raising a family, there is simply MUCH TO DO.
When you are given the strength of youth, now is the time of doing and there is MUCH TO DO.

So, how does one BE in the midst of doing?  What is God really calling us to?

I honestly can say, I haven't got it down pat.  I struggle with the reality of staying in the presence of God and working (doing, busy, even good things for God) at the same time...

What I do know is, the name for God that I had recently was I AM.

I AM.
Nothing more and nothing less.  God is who He is.  He needs nothing more to prove anything.

When Moses was to go to the children of Israel and say "The God of your fathers hath sent me to you,"  and he wondered what he should say when they asked what is His name.
God replied, "I AM THAT I AM."

He is and nothing more.  He is ever present in the midst of life and ever aware of us.

Maybe it's our heart's attitude... Is it feeling a need to perform or is it simply resting in the finished work of our Saviour and learning more of Him??

Jesus also says in Matthew 11:28 -  "Come unto me,... and I will give you rest."

Rest.  Rest from what??  Come...

Mary obviously found it as she sat at Jesus' feet.  Present.  Listening.  Engaged to the voice of the Master.
And I believe Martha could have been listening and present while serving the people there.  But she got caught up in the doing-serving instead of the being-serving.

So, how do we live engaged, present in the midst of our MUCH TO DO??

A few points that I have found that help me are:
Intentional living.  Aware of more than what we are doing and remembering Who we are serving. Making a conscious effort to focus on my Saviour, right in the middle of it all.  And to those of us who are introverts to different degrees, that is a bit harder to do, for we like quiet to process.  Jesus said, "My grace IS sufficient for thee,"

Abide in the Vine.  John 15.  Stay connected to Jesus.  His Written Word tells us about Him and brings a refocus to our perspective as we absorb and inhale His Truths.  His Truth sets us free as we believe it.

Jesus says in John 7:38, "He that believeth on Me, out of his belly shall FLOW rivers of living water."
Jesus is the Living Water, and when He is a part of our breath, He will flow out.  It simply is.  It will happen.

I don't believe that being is equivalent to doing nothing.

Being/be, in the Webster's dictionary means to live; to exist; to have a place or position.
Also, a bit of English, being verbs take the place of the action verb.  They connect the subject to the rest of the sentence.

And so, for us, being takes place of doing, doing and it's our connection to do life.
To be. To be present.  To live. Being connects us to Jesus.  It connects us to life.

And when we become doers we forget who we are and wrap our identity in our doing.
We are because Jesus is.  And I believe we must bask in His Presence and snatch those moments to refocus on Him, who loves us.

Ephesians 2:8-9, For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
not as a result of works, that no one should boast,

Am I rambling???  Perhaps. :)  But how does one describe or grasp this truth?

So don't forget to live today in the Presence of Jesus.  Inhale His Truths, absorbing them into your bloodstream, so they may flow out of you today.  Living Water - Jesus.

Be.
Be alive.  Be present.  Be real.  Be connected.
Be a be-doer. 

A bit from the prayer of Ephesians 3:14-21
... and that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fulness of God.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your story on Bethany's blog - and it is always fun to find a new blog.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your story on Bethany's blog - and it is always fun to find a new blog.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete