Thursday, August 13, 2026

A Morning Walk, The Sun, The Clouds

 


The clouds hang low - covering what once could be seen clearly.




A hazy reminder that the sun IS still shining.










For a moment, just a moment on my morning walk, the sun pierced through the clouds as they parted to reveal what is present but simply could not be seen in the a moment.



These past days the clouds were persistently present and clouded over the sun's rays, blocking them from our vision as we were on this side of the clouds.  Some days the clouds weren't as thick.  Other days they were low and very dense, blocking all signs of the glowing beauty and warmth of the sun.

As I walked, taking steps, I was strongly reminded of God's presence.  His presence is like the sun - sometimes very close, visible, and warm.  Other times it's hidden behind the onslaught of the brokenness of life - death, rejection, missed expectations, broken stories, disappointments, etc.  

But the one truth that remains so very true and faithful is that God IS always present.  He is just as much there when He gets lost in the pain, hidden by the impact of hardships as He is when I can clearly see His presence and the work that He does.

So when I shout, "God, where are You?!"  I can follow that with - "Lord, I choose to believe.  I choose to believe that the sun is still there even when it's not shining.  I believe in a love even when I don't feel it.  Lord, help my unbelief."  

The song that we sing is borne from the agony of one who spent days in a cellar and carved the poem on the wall during the days of the Holocaust in Cologne, Germany.  A person, choosing to believe and reminding himself of what he could not see or feel, is still present in the midst of heartbreak and so utter demoralizing actions.  "I believe in the sun, even when it's not shining.  I believe in love, even when I don't feel it.  I believe in God, even when God is silent."

I believe that the sun even when I can't see it, is there when the clouds keep it hidden from view.
I know it will shine once again in its splendour when the clouds break away and let it shine through.

I believe in a God even though I can't see Him, even when He is silent I know He is there.
I know if I wait on the Lord and will listen, in a still small voice He speaks to me here.

chorus: I believe in a God and I know that I shall see Him someday in Heaven upon His great throne.
I believe in a God and I know He is with me, will be with me here till I enter my home.

I believe in a love that is true and tender, for God in His love sent it down from above.
I believe in a love even when I can't feel it, in this cold empty world where few know His love.

Truth remains even when present circumstances shout to us otherwise.  God's presence is faithfully there and we can cry out in faith, choosing to believe what we know above what we feel.  

Friend, my prayer is that you and I will know Jesus in deeper ways.  In deeper ways, that carry us through the foggy days and the darkness that at times envelopes us and blocks the sun.  

Faith is choosing Jesus in the times He makes no sense to our human minds.  Faith is choosing to believe Jesus over what we feel.  Faith is reaching for Jesus because we have learned to know Him in deeper ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment