Monday, November 24, 2014

A Birthday... We Still Mark Time With Dates

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!!

Time is no more for you - but for us we remember this day.  We still mark life with time and we remember this day because it is the day of your birth.  The day you  began your journey here on earth and eventually it included me.  I became a part of your life and you became a part of mine.
And with that my heart aches and remembers...

I remember your servant-heart. One that loved and loved to show that by doing things for others.  Since I moved to Ohio, effort needed to be made to see family and I always knew that when I came 'home' you'd be happy to see me.  You delighted in the boys, reading stories and you wanted to know what was going on in our world.  And in the same way, when you and mom would come to Ohio, you'd play ball with the boys and were interested in them.  And we cannot forget the hiding of the candy... :) They would rush downstairs the minute you were all out the driveway...
Leaving candy behind you also left memories behind.  Ones that we hold close to our hearts and treasure.
You would often go the extra mile - fixing something that needed fixed, lending a hand when one was needed, giving and giving.
But we also remember your humour... "not my fault..." you would say if you messed up. :) or if a door was left open and it was cold outside you'd holler out... "close your pnuemonia hole".

moments to treasure in the midst of the ache...

You also lived the last decade openly, wanting your slate clear; wondering at times if there was anything that needed to be taken care of.  You were aware of your humanness and in that turned to repentance if needed.  You ended life that way too.  open.  transparent.  Life and people mattered to you!

Today my heart aches because your spot here on earth is empty - but I rejoice that you are with Jesus. (I'm jealous)
Heaven is a bit more real these days, a bit closer.  I don't sorrow without hope because of Jesus.  Your symphony of love continues to ring on...

I just finished reading Ezekiel and the phrase - "that they may know that I am God" was repeated over and over - 64 times. And 5 other times God told Ezekiel to tell the people "that they will know that I the LORD did this or that..."  His heart ached for all the people to know Him.  That He would be enough for them...  That, I believe, is His heart beat for us today.  for me.
These phrases were always after a hardship.  After painful times of being taken into slavery or crop failure, etc.
Then the last several chapters are describing a temple and the final words of Ezekiel are the name of this temple "The LORD is here."  Hmmmm....
How fitting after the LORD wanting to be known... someone found Him.  Someone saw Him...

And so, dad.  In the midst of this hard thing - the lack of your physical presence...
      I want to know God.  To find Him.  And I am. (step by step; slowly but surely)
      I want to know His love and compassion in the midst of pain.  And I am.
      I want to know His Father heart.  And I am. (more and more)
He's taking care of me.  I am not without hope.
    The LORD is here.

I love you and you are missed.
Judith

2 comments:

  1. What would it be like to not have memories? Or, maybe worse, to not have good memories?? So thankful for the ability to look back and have so many things to treasure in the midst of the ache! And, yes, so thankful the Lord is here. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete